The Golf Thread

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2022 at 5:47 AM, Sonoftherock said:

I’m the same, but I always watch origin. One of the few Australian sporting occasions where there is a bit of proper hatred between the fans - love the passion! Wish they’d bring AFL state of origin back! That final match was fucking brilliant stuff… anyone who enjoys sports would have appreciated it as a spectacle.

what sport are we talking about here ? Ozzie rules ?

On 8/18/2022 at 1:03 PM, Dynamo said:

Anyone ever bought anything from Druids, and is it any good? 

I've got a trolley and bag from them. They're both decent and great value. 

The polos are okay, not the best quality but I guess you get what you pay for. 

They'll absolutely bombard you with spam emails and texts once they have your details. 

• Upvote 1
  • 7 months later...
18 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

Its made shite by the amount of utter bellends who insist on playing it, trying to look like pros, acting like pros but lacking the agility and ability to ever be any good 👍

Most folk who play it are aware they're pretty shite. Just like most folk who play five a sides fitba are well aware they'll not be turning out for the Dons anytime soon. 

It's a great sport. 

3 hours ago, Parklife said:

Most folk who play it are aware they're pretty shite. Just like most folk who play five a sides fitba are well aware they'll not be turning out for the Dons anytime soon. 

It's a great sport. 

Aye i said that previously down to being really hacked off after a round at the weekend. What should have been a 3 and a quarter hour round, took 4 and a half hours due to an ignorant 4 ball 3 groups ahead.

I should be a lot more tolerant of people playing golf, but it’s hard when they do not follow the etiquette required.

It’s a great sport, particularly in the summer and with the right people. 

44 minutes ago, Reed or deed said:

Aye i said that previously down to being really hacked off after a round at the weekend. What should have been a 3 and a quarter hour round, took 4 and a half hours due to an ignorant 4 ball 3 groups ahead.

I should be a lot more tolerant of people playing golf, but it’s hard when they do not follow the etiquette required.

It’s a great sport, particularly in the summer and with the right people. 

Slow play really fucks me off too. As you say, there's a pretty basic etiquette. If you're slow and a group has caught you up, let them play through. Holds up the whole course otherwise. 

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, Forever Red said:

Anyone got tips for playing Trump without paying silly money? Played the Turnberry one last year, heard Aberdeen one is better.

Ps If anyone is ever down west coast and wants a game at Largs (cracking course) I'm more than happy to sign you on 👍

I played last September after i got a round courtesy from the fam as a christmas present.

Was 20 degrees and no wind at all and played off the championship tees. Helluva distance you walk from green to tees between some of the holes.

What a course though, i’d probably rate it at the top of the courses i’ve played and i’ve  played Lytham, Western Gailes, St Andrews, Nairn West in amateur championships.

When i looked at that time i think it said £290 for a single round at that time of year, which is absolute nonsense. I would never pay that for one round of golf.

Not sure how you would get on any cheaper, other than playing it in winter which would detract from the experience imo.

I think there is a mens open hosted in the back end of the summer that might be worth a look as from memory it’s either £100 or £150 to enter.

Unless any of the Oil and gas lads on here have corporate bookings.

Booking real early is essential.

4 hours ago, Forever Red said:

Anyone got tips for playing Trump without paying silly money? Played the Turnberry one last year, heard Aberdeen one is better.

Ps If anyone is ever down west coast and wants a game at Largs (cracking course) I'm more than happy to sign you on 👍

Money for golf courses now is fucking stupid. Back in the 80s my first shot on St Andrews Old Course was £20. Played Turnberry for three days. £33 a day ticket.

• Upvote 1
5 hours ago, Reed or deed said:

I played last September after i got a round courtesy from the fam as a christmas present.

Was 20 degrees and no wind at all and played off the championship tees. Helluva distance you walk from green to tees between some of the holes.

What a course though, i’d probably rate it at the top of the courses i’ve played and i’ve  played Lytham, Western Gailes, St Andrews, Nairn West in amateur championships.

When i looked at that time i think it said £290 for a single round at that time of year, which is absolute nonsense. I would never pay that for one round of golf.

Not sure how you would get on any cheaper, other than playing it in winter which would detract from the experience imo.

I think there is a mens open hosted in the back end of the summer that might be worth a look as from memory it’s either £100 or £150 to enter.

Unless any of the Oil and gas lads on here have corporate bookings.

Booking real early is essential.

£290 a tad steep (if u shot a 96 that's about £3 a shot!!!). 

I'll have a look at the open but wouldn't be surprised if it's already fully subscribed.

Cheers 👍 

1 hour ago, Jigsaw666 said:

Money for golf courses now is fucking stupid. Back in the 80s my first shot on St Andrews Old Course was £20. Played Turnberry for three days. £33 a day ticket.

Aye, the fancy courses have got greedy - plenty tourists willing to pay I suppose.

I used to be on a Facebook group where u got invites to other courses with member signing u on and u got guests back to ur club - was a good way to play new courses for decent price

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2023 at 4:17 PM, Jigsaw666 said:

Also played a few times back in 80s, in sun, wind and pissing rain. A different course each time.

One time a Jap fell in a bunker taking a photo of us at the Road Hole.

At the next hole my mate holed an enormous putt for a 99, on a windy day, and other Japs applauded as if he was a professional. 

• Haha 1