The Golf Thread

I'd like to know that as well.

By laying up you have no chance of putting the 7 iron dead.

how many people can put a 7 iron dead?

maybe i should have said that instead of going for the green from 6 iron distance upwards it may be better to lay up and get up and down. I play off 14 and from 150 yards out I struggle. I can count the amount of times ive hit the green and been close enough from the pin to 1 putt from 150 yards out on one hand in recent months. I do think that from 3,4,5 iron and 5,3 wood distance you are better off laying up, keep it on the fairway and get up and down....assuming ofcourse you have a good short game....

...so yes, my original post maybe wasnt good advice but i think that for average players like myself it is better to lay up from 150+ yards then risk going for the green, missing it and getting into trouble...

• Site Sponsor
how many people can put a 7 iron dead?

maybe i should have said that instead of going for the green from 6 iron distance upwards it may be better to lay up and get up and down. I play off 14 and from 150 yards out I struggle. I can count the amount of times ive hit the green and been close enough from the pin to 1 putt from 150 yards out on one hand in recent months. I do think that from 3,4,5 iron and 5,3 wood distance you are better off laying up, keep it on the fairway and get up and down....assuming ofcourse you have a good short game....

...so yes, my original post maybe wasnt good advice but i think that for average players like myself it is better to lay up from 150+ yards then risk going for the green, missing it and getting into trouble...

Actually anyone who hits one

OK, you've qualified it now. So when you have a distance that requires a 4 or 5 iron to get home, do you take a 6 or 7 iron and lay up, or do you swing 3/4 to just advance it?

With a lack of confidence like that, and a loser mentality/strategy to hope to save par and taking birdie out of the equation, don't expect a handicap reduction any decade soon.

Given the fact that you play off 14, you don't get up and down to save par at the longer holes anyway, so what are you gibbering about?

I have a tendancy to skew the ball right of the green from distance.....not by much but by enough to land in a bunker or to skid into light ruff So, when im playing a round in a compy ill try and lay up and take it form there. In practice i practice hitting the green but it takes time doesnt it...to develop as a player..

we arent all f**king geniusus like you clearly are.

it isnt about a loser mentality, it is about knowing your weaknesses trying to keep errors to a minimum.....but if i do have 'yippy' moments then it is from 150 yards up to 200 yds from the green, ie the sort of distance a genius like you is able to hit the green from

You're first post, y'know, when you spoke utter sh*te the first time, you said it was better to lay up rather than hit it to 20 feet+ ON THE GREEN!

Then you fabricated another piece of nonsense, which I don't see anyone agreeing with either.

A beginner normally goes for everything, and then that's how they learn course management. You're a beginner that lays up with a 6 iron. Tragic. Not even good course managers do that.

to be honest - i have just started golf again - i never lay up so to speak unless a green is surrounded by trouble and i got a 3 iron in my hand

i am with rocket here surely you should 2 putt from 20ft all the time ? than getting up and down all the time? putting should be more accurate...

that's my 10 pence worth

You're first post, y'know, when you spoke utter sh*te the first time, you said it was better to lay up rather than hit it to 20 feet+ ON THE GREEN!

Then you fabricated another piece of nonsense, which I don't see anyone agreeing with either.

A beginner normally goes for everything, and then that's how they learn course management. You're a beginner that lays up with a 6 iron. Tragic. Not even good course managers do that.

what im saying is that it might be better to lay up short and keep the ball on the fairway than to go for the green and miss it and get in trouble.

as i said, we arent all geniusus like you...but then again, we arent all c**ts like you either....so there is hope.

Why would this be?

Em let me see. Cause its bettere to chip to 3 feet to the hole than 4 putt the f**ker. Just an idea. Nae doubt youll tell me I'm a fud. Pay attention to the details. Seems you think you're a clever c**t so it winna be that hard.xxxx

I have a tendancy to skew the ball right of the green from distance.....not by much but by enough to land in a bunker or to skid into light ruff So, when im playing a round in a compy ill try and lay up and take it form there. In practice i practice hitting the green but it takes time doesnt it...to develop as a player..

we arent all f**king geniusus like you clearly are.

it isnt about a loser mentality, it is about knowing your weaknesses trying to keep errors to a minimum.....but if i do have 'yippy' moments then it is from 150 yards up to 200 yds from the green, ie the sort of distance a genius like you is able to hit the green from

Ok, the good stuff: You have a grasp of course management, and are trying to avoid big numbers. You also understand your weaknesses which many players tend to ignore, and think they're Seve every shot. It's a good basis to build from that you are trying to think your way round the course.

Trouble is, as rocket says :hysterical: you are taking shooting low numbers and getting cut totally out of the equation by turning most par 4s into par 5s.

If your long iron play is that poor that you have no confidence in them at all, then apart form the obvious - practicing as you say - you should be looking at hybrids instead of your 3 & 4 irons, if not even the 5 iron as well. Even many pros now bin their 3 irons and have replaced them with hybrids. Iron play has always been the weakest part of my game, but binning my 3 iron and replacing it with a hybrid was the second best move I've ever made for my golf game (the first being getting my irons fitted).

It is also fair to say, that if you consistently slice every time with the long irons, then until you can iron that out, you'll still probably lower your scores by simply aiming left edge of the green rather than laying up. If you hit it wrong (ie straight) then worst case is you are just left of the green, if you hit it as expected, then you end up centre or right hand side of the green. And if you hit it badly, well your badly hit 3 iron will probably still trundle down to your 7 iron lay up distance anyway. This is assuming trouble is on the right and not the left, even then, aim inside of the left hand trouble, and your shot shape will take you away from it.

If you're already off 14 then you're clearly not a duffer, but you need to be going for every green (from the fairway) at your level if you hope to get cut further.

Seriously, get yourself down the range, and try a few hybrids. :hysterical:

Ok, the good stuff: You have a grasp of course management, and are trying to avoid big numbers. You also understand your weaknesses which many players tend to ignore, and think they're Seve every shot. It's a good basis to build from that you are trying to think your way round the course.

Trouble is, as rocket says ;) you are taking shooting low numbers and getting cut totally out of the equation by turning most par 4s into par 5s.

If your long iron play is that poor that you have no confidence in them at all, then apart form the obvious - practicing as you say - you should be looking at hybrids instead of your 3 & 4 irons, if not even the 5 iron as well. Even many pros now bin their 3 irons and have replaced them with hybrids. Iron play has always been the weakest part of my game, but binning my 3 iron and replacing it with a hybrid was the second best move I've ever made for my golf game (the first being getting my irons fitted).

It is also fair to say, that if you consistently slice every time with the long irons, then until you can iron that out, you'll still probably lower your scores by simply aiming left edge of the green rather than laying up. If you hit it wrong (ie straight) then worst case is you are just left of the green, if you hit it as expected, then you end up centre or right hand side of the green. And if you hit it badly, well your badly hit 3 iron will probably still trundle down to your 7 iron lay up distance anyway. This is assuming trouble is on the right and not the left, even then, aim inside of the left hand trouble, and your shot shape will take you away from it.

If you're already off 14 then you're clearly not a duffer, but you need to be going for every green (from the fairway) at your level if you hope to get cut further.

Seriously, get yourself down the range, and try a few hybrids. :hysterical:

ive got a couple of hybrids i used a couple of years back.....played quite well with them then they went to sh*t very quickly....should get them out of the shed and try them again though. it is very frustrating, the ball doesnt slice it gently drifts right, im obviously cutting it...need to practice.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Fars a the golfers en?? Will buy a pint to all hatters who come along and participate! :hysterical: Only got 1 signed up so far.

Current draws can be seen here http://www.northeastgolfdraws.co.uk/

See a time u like let me know :thumbs:

I don't think there's too many handicappers here claw tbh. Played the Nigg open a couple of times, would roll up if I was in the north east at the moment, but I'm not, sorry.
2nd round of the year today, 15+ (finished with a feckin 8!!). Still pretty sh*te then. Im playing for my handicap too cause it lapsed. Probs be about 15....ill be a bit of a bandit for a while then before I get it back down :hysterical: :hysterical:

An 8. At Craibstone ?

You get guests on cheap there ? :thumbs:

Looking to take up golf again soon - used to play a wee bit when I was younger but my knowledge and ability is very limited to say the least. Anyone suggest a set of clubs to start with or even where to go?
American golf are knocking this full set and bag out for
Aye on the 18th, sliced it miles into the trees, looked like I'd escape with about a 5 but made an arse of a chip and (many) putts :hysterical:

Get guests on half price I think.

Dinna worry, anybody can do that.

So if i'm a guest of you and rtyd i get on for nowt.

Excellent. :thumbs:

Looking to take up golf again soon - used to play a wee bit when I was younger but my knowledge and ability is very limited to say the least. Anyone suggest a set of clubs to start with or even where to go?

Amazon are doing a full set of 3 metals , 9 irons , putter and bag for