The Golf Thread

Snap. Had X20's for four months, hated them. TPRAC's replaced them 3 years ago and won't be leaving the bag for at least another 3, if ever.

I got custom fitted for the Callaways out at Kemnay, but the pro there obviously specced far too soft shafts for me, as the ball was balooning up in the air and I was losing about a club per shot.

The Taylor Mades lofts are stronger for a start, and the shafts are half an inch longer too because of that, which suits me as that I what I normally get when being custom fitted anyway. Shafts are firmer, and straight away you can sense that the face isn't lagging behind on impact.

Callaways are okay but I can't help thinking they are predominatly beginners clubs.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching Reporting Scotland just now and they are saying The Scottish Open will be held at Castle Stuart near Inverness the year due to financial problems at Loch Lomond

Agree with Rocket, got to be a good move, and being a links, should attract more top players as a warm up for the Open.

Also for those who think Trump can't attract a top tournament to Balmedie, this place has only been open a couple of years, you can bet your life he'll be standing first in line trying to get this event once Castle Stuart's initial three year run is up for renewal.

That's great news (Scottish at Castle Stuart) Is this the usual week - the week before The Open?

Now, when can the R&A get round to hosting The Open at Royal Dornoch, as the argument was always that they didn't have the hotels and infrastructure to cope. I accept that Dornoch is another, what, 60 miles up the coast, and that The Open is on a different level to the Scottish, but great to see that the north is getting a foothold - hopefully this is just the start.

That's great news (Scottish at Castle Stuart) Is this the usual week - the week before The Open?

Now, when can the R&A get round to hosting The Open at Royal Dornoch, as the argument was always that they didn't have the hotels and infrastructure to cope. I accept that Dornoch is another, what, 60 miles up the coast, and that The Open is on a different level to the Scottish, but great to see that the north is getting a foothold.

Dornoch is never an Open venue, even allowing for the accomodation and access issues.

You reckon? How does it compare to Nairn or Skibo, for example (in your book)?

Still say it's streets ahead of Hoylake, Sandwich and Lytham. Birkdale is probably the only English links worth it's salt.

Never played Nairn or Skibo.

Hoylake is a joke of a choice for an Open, I'll agree with you there, Birkdale is simply stunning.

For starters Dornoch isn't long enough, it also has some really poor holes, the 7th, 16th & 17th spring immediately to mind, and then of course location and accomodation simply can;t be ignored. It will never get the big one, nor I doubt anything bigger than a challenge event. Not sure there's even a desire from the club is there?

I will say that after all the hype, I found RD a disappointment, no doubt a great course, but after how everyone raves about it, I expected more.

I was up at Castle Stuart about 2 years ago, and decided to go in about the course, just for a nosey. Drove into the car park, got out to have a look over the course, then seen the fella walking towards me. Thought I was about to get turfed out, but quite the contrary, bloke offered to show us round the clubhouse and the first few holes. If I'd had my sticks with me then would have probably got a few holes in, gratis. Couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming.

Course seems to have been built and opened very much under the radar, as opposed to Trumpton Towers.

I expect it is quite some course s_s, I played kingsbarns last year and was blown away by it (I know Rocket thinks it's pish tho), and apparently the deigners said they learned from the mistakes they made there when building Castle Stuart, so it must be special.

Can't wait to head up, I will take in at least one day of the Scottish.

What? I LOVE Kingsbarns and always have done and having played CS twice, I love that too. It was me who passed on the info about Mark Parsinen saying that he'd learnt from his mistakes at KB and I also said I didn't see any. KB is a great track and magic fun.

Hmm, apologies, my memory playing tricks, is it Gleneagles you think is pants then, sure there was somewhere we strongly disagree? Anyway, fair doos, KB is top quality as you say.

Canna believe the amount of coverage that Sky give Tiger Woods. Granted, Sky can only take the screen time that The Golf Channel gives them, but even on commercial breaks in the Sky studios, it's Tiger this and Tiger that, when he's way way off the pace.

They had a Golf journo on on thu and fri night, and it was refreshing to listen to him put the boot into Woods regarding A) his form, and B) his on course demenour. Robert Lee was trying to defend Woods to the hilt, but the boy was having non of it, and quite rightly so.

Since his come back at the Masters last year, he's had the odd top 5 finish but never been there at the shake up.

And long may it continue. W@nk.

What about Royal Aberdeen for an Open?? Is there any reason why it's never been considered. It's hosted the Senior Open and gets the Walker Cup this year so it's not like it's a stranger to hosting tournaments.

It'd certainly be better than Hoylake. That was a horrible course. Although I do like Lytham (possibly because Seve won there twice). Sandwich is a bit crap too though.

What about Royal Aberdeen for an Open?? Is there any reason why it's never been considered. It's hosted the Senior Open and gets the Walker Cup this year so it's not like it's a stranger to hosting tournaments.

It'd certainly be better than Hoylake. That was a horrible course. Although I do like Lytham (possibly because Seve won there twice). Sandwich is a bit crap too though.

Too short.

Kaymer -2, Westwood -1, Woods +2 through 7 playing together in Rd 1 in Dubai.

His bubble is busted. He's no longer World No. 1. The boy is struggling.

Does this prove that Tiger can only operate when he is gorging himself on white trash? Can't blame his appetites but he does need to get his head sorted.

Tiger now joint leader, 7 under. c**t eagled the 18th yesterday and buzzing today. Still don't see him winning it though, putting will crack when the heat is on.

Anybody see Vijay Singh yipping last night? Flopped a brilliant pitch to about 20 inches, was over his putt, took putter head back 2 inches then stopped, stepped back and went throught he whole routine again, complete yip. Only just holed the putt too, eventually, in side door. Horrible to watch.

Rocket, ever played with the boy Raymond Cheyne, plays the Kings links? Played with him once in a Open Greensomes, he had the yips real bad, in fact even yipped his pitches, club head bouncing up and down on the ground for ages.

not sure I agree. Maybe the PGA tour needs a strong Tiger, not sure the rest of the word really cares that much.

I agree. The US TV companies might need a strong Tiger, but about 50 players around the world don't need a strong Tiger. Horrible c**t of a man off the course and horrible c**t of a man on it too.

Tiger can get to f**k as far as I am concerned, only in Dubia as he's getting megabucks to do so, and I hope the cream of European golf kick his ass all the way back to Florida today.

EDIT - See the chunt gobbing on the green just now? Sergio should have nutted him for that. Quite correctly jumped on by the Sky guys. Lacks the class of Nicklaus, Player, Palmer etc etc. They were all hard as nails in their day too, but that's not something you'd have ever seen from any of them. Just a horrible chunt, that belongs in the gutter.

just saw some clips of tiger grotting all over the green. that what happens when you let a certain type of person on a golf course. should ban him for life, the freak obviously think's he's bigger than the game and he can do as he pleases :angry:

Correct, and you have to ask, why haven't the USPGA not banned him already, cos he's been gobbing on tees and fairways for years? Cos the're sh1t scared that he'd up sticks and play his golf elsewhere.

He should get a PGA European ban, which would of course exclude him from our Open, LOL.

In my 40 odd years of playing and watching golf, I've never seen anyone gobbing on a green before. Subhuman species, lowest of the low, and of course only after he plays a bad shot.

On a lighter note, what a guy Quiros is. What a 4 ball partner to have. I'd let him get the eagles and birdies, and I'd grind out the pars!!!

Correct, and you have to ask, why haven't the USPGA not banned him already, cos he's been gobbing on tees and fairways for years? Cos the're sh1t scared that he'd up sticks and play his golf elsewhere.

He should get a PGA European ban, which would of course exclude him from our Open, LOL.

In my 40 odd years of playing and watching golf, I've never seen anyone gobbing on a green before. Subhuman species, lowest of the low, and of course only after he plays a bad shot.

On a lighter note, what a guy Quiros is. What a 4 ball partner to have. I'd let him get the eagles and birdies, and I'd grind out the pars!!!

Don't think it would, the Open is run by the R&A not the European Tour.

• 2 weeks later...

See Woods is back wearing his buddhist monk bracelet, in an attempt at getting the world to think he has repented. You just failed, arseshole.

Got himself back into the game by holing some long putts on 12/13 that would have went off the green had they not hit the hole. Any steady Eddie was going to beat Woods this week, had it not been Bjorn it would have been some other "18 greens in regulation" journeyman PGA tour player.