The Golf Thread

I first played Carnoustie before you were born. It is IN MY OPINION, the greatest course on this planet. You disagree. That's fine. But to attempt to put Lundy ahead of it is a joke. This proves that you are not a decent golfer on it's own but it also proves that you haven't got a f**king clue as to what differentiates a good course from a great course. Just stick to raking bunkers min. Leave course management to the managers. There's a reason you get paid less than the national average.

I do confess to a bit of fishing. Myself and another poster had a wee giggle at yourself biting. Even your boyfriend knew it has happening.

For someone so smart, very very simple.

Off out to cinemas,have fun replying to this hehehe BAI x x x

In exactly two weeks from now, I will be sitting right here watching the Masters in HD for the first time.

The difference being, is that earlier that day, I will have played my favourite course of all time in the oldest club match in the world. This course contains my favourite par 3, favourite par 4 and favourite par 5 of all time. Name those holes, fs (pretty sure I've blabbed about my fav. course on here before).

Contradiction at the start there??

Tup please stop trying to be like Kelt,he's funny your not.

For the love of f**k I'm not trying to be any c**t, you're nae the sharpest tool in the box, I'm assuming your username is ironical in the extreme, you're nae exactly a Gillette Quattro, more a 99p 10 pack of Safeway Savers face obliterators.

I first played Carnoustie before you were born. It is IN MY OPINION, the greatest course on this planet. You disagree. That's fine. But to attempt to put Lundy ahead of it is a joke. This proves that you are not a decent golfer on it's own but it also proves that you haven't got a f**king clue as to what differentiates a good course from a great course. Just stick to raking bunkers min. Leave course management to the managers. There's a reason you get paid less than the national average.

Interesting debate, regarding how do you define a great golf course. How tough it is, is that how you define it? Or is it the fact that you need every club in the bag, and be able to move the ball both ways?

I certainly don't see myself as an expert on this, but for what it's worth, the 2nd nine at Carnoustie is by far and away the toughest nine I've ever played, but the opening nine isn't that tough at all, first half dozen are all birdieable, and even I damn near made the par 5 6th in two. Not the most picturesque course, that's for sure, with those old dilapidated mill buildings visible across the road as you head for home, and not even a true links as you never see the sea at any stage.

Nae bother. Deal with the specifics when you get back. Not the specifics about you being a low paid moron. The specifics about you having never been a category one, let alone a scratch golfer, and your opinion about golf courses being worth jack sh*t. See if I worked in a particular industry, I wouldn't be as keen to show my stupidity as you are. Then again, you are in a sizeable majority. Enjoy watching inane sh*t in the popcorn palace. That'll feed your tiny minds just dandy.

Surely judging a golf course is all opinion based. Doesn't matter if your scratch(which your not) or 14 (which I am) or a beginner. Everybody has there own opinion and are entitled to it,contrary to your beliefs.

As for the job jokes. I love my job and look forward to going to work everyday. Is it what I want to do for the rest of my life? No way. Am sure people laughed at when you started your business.

For the love of f**k I'm not trying to be any c**t, you're nae the sharpest tool in the box, I'm assuming your username is ironical in the extreme, you're nae exactly a Gillette Quattro, more a 99p 10 pack of Safeway Savers face obliterators.

More rubbish humour misery guts. You just don't have what it takes to give you a worthy bite.

You admit to fishing so it's hardly worth continuing a debate. Unless you can prove that you are qualified to comment and know what you're talking about?

What's the strongest 3 and the weakest 3 holes at RA and why?

Qualified? your missing the point. Judging a golf course is all opinion based. Nobody is right or wrong.

IMO, 2nd is my favourite. Beautiful par 5 tight fairway. Dunes either side of the fairways. Challenging dips on the fairway for my second shot which forces me to ain just short of the green where lies 2 pot bunkers.

IMO, 9th is next. Elevated tee which challenges me to aim for the again tight fairway. As the rough is very difficult to get out. Green is again on a higher peak with two bunkers either side ,forces to aim for the back of the green. Flag at the front of this green is very difficult.

IMO 16th, beautiful little par 3. Elevated tee. Bunkers all round the front green forces you to aim for the smaller scaled green.

Worst,

Hate the 13th, green was better positioned where it was originally. Nothing but problems ever since its been changed.

15th, as I've told you before. I can't hit a driver as its blind am almost always in a bunker. The bunker greenside is just ridiculous for a link course.

6th, very long par 5. Not a big hitter so I struggle with it. Two sets of spectacle bunkers, imo its far too tight to justify a par 5.

This is all opinion based.

I think the individual has to judge the course based on his own ability to make a score. Carnoustie has just ground me down by the turn, anytime I've played it. Even the 10th is a c**t, with that burn in front, after that it's just slog slog slog.

Unless you are a category 1 player, you will struggle hitting a 4 iron into a tight green with a burn in front, especially when you are doing it for the 4th or 5th time. That's not to knock the course's brilliance, I'd just rather play a shotmakers course for my hard earned cash. Give me the Kings or Queens Courses at Gleneagles any day of the week, infinetly better (IMHO) than the course where the 2014 Ryder Cup will be played. Rosemount, Montrose, Luffness, North Berwick, for me, are great value.

All down to opinion, and questioning other peoples opinions is uneccesary..

Plenty. The Old Course, Turnberry (Head GK's only), Castle Stuart. Ganton, Rye. Those are only the ones I know about. Doubt Lytham would accept you either.

I've played the Old Course 3 times. Played and worked on Castle Stuart. Played Turnberry just when I first started my apprenticeship.

Would love to play Lytham but never tried.

I'm trying to get a tee time for The Castle Course later on this week.

But to say that Lundy is better than Carnoustie is insane. No way that even 1% of surveyed golfers would agree with this. There is no possible rationale by any method you determine than Lundy is better than Carnoustie. That was fishing, as he confessed to. It's a blight on intelligent debate to offer this nonsense.

Of course it is mostly opinion but some people's opinions are worth f**k all if they don't know the subject on which they offer an opinion.

You like the Kings and Queens, ss, I hate them. That's fine. I prefer links, you're a parkland man. No problem. You don't rate RA, I do. No issue.

But the boy has demonstrated that he does know a bit about golf and yet he fishes with that absurd opinion re Lundin Links v. Carnoustie?

I agree with what you said about the holes at RA, razor, and knew it was a typo when you meant 17. 16 is a pretty bland hole. I actually like 6 but don't really like 5 and agree that 2 and 9 are magic holes. The 8th is an excellent par 3.

I apologise for fishing, it was a silly thing do.

I didn't slate Carnoustie I just said I preferred Lundin Links,surely there's nothing wrong with that.

You arguing a fact here? You disputing the fact that a BIGGA card does not get you on to the Old?

All 3 times I've played the Old I've presented my card and received discount,that's a fact.

The first time I played, was the day after the Dunhill Links and since I worked it I got to play for free anyway.

Played the Castle at SA before it opened and again last year. Enjoyed it much better the second time.

Played the Kittocks at SA Bay last Saturday for the first time since the changes. Only ever played the Devlin once as I prefer the Torrance but the Kittocks is a great track.

I've never heard a bad word said about the Castle, dying to get a round in.

A discount is different from getting it free, no?

BIGGA members were abusing the privilege and it was decided to revoke all rights. You might have got a dark time or a free spot to get a discounted Rd but you can not get on it like you can at Edzell or Inverurie or other mickey mouse courses.

I've never paid to play the OC. It was never during peak hours and always presented my card. Normally ill call ahead and speak to someone and its always been sorted out fine.

Played the Castle at SA before it opened and again last year. Enjoyed it much better the second time.

Played the Kittocks at SA Bay last Saturday for the first time since the changes. Only ever played the Devlin once as I prefer the Torrance but the Kittocks is a great track.

We've done this one before, but I can't say I thought much at all about the Torrance, we did play it late September though. The Kittocks was decent, not great, but much better than the Torrance in the opinion of all 8 of us who played it the time we went.

So you weren't fishing? So why "confess" and admit that you were? Make up your mind.

Was I fishing to get a typical OTT reaction from yourself? Yes.

Was my point still valid imo correct? Yes.

In one breath you say you got a discount and now you say you've never paid?

I'm confused. I'm off to see a funny weegie in a top hat do some magic to clear my heid.

The discount I got was from the price of a normal round down to free of charge.

Take the prozac bottle and shove it up your rear end, apparently goes in your system quicker.

We've done this one before, but I can't say I thought much at all about the Torrance, we did play it late September though. The Kittocks was decent, not great, but much better than the Torrance in the opinion of all 8 of us who played it the time we went.

Played it last weekend was playing so long with a lot of long par 4s all into the wind.. decent track but was one of those days where it was playing so long you were glad to get off the course.